Trivandrum: 3 Phase MEMU (Mainline Electrical Multiple Unit) rake which works with highly advanced technology and is passenger friendly is being introduced for service for the first time in Thiruvananthapuram Division from 03.09.2019 onwards.
3 phase MEMU rake is highly advantageous as it propels with 3 phase AC propulsion system consisting of ‘insulated-gate bipolar transistor’ (IGBT) and facilitates improved acceleration and braking performance and therefore run faster compared to conventional MEMU.
It is indigenously manufactured by ICF and has energy efficient electric traction propulsion system supported by regenerative braking that can save up to 35% energy compared to conventional MEMU. The electricity generated in this process would be fed into the grid. It is not only energy-efficient but also requires less maintenance because of robust 3 phase AC squirrel cage induction motors drive in place of DC series motors and introduction of an oil-free compressor.
The 8 car rake formation consists of stainless steel body coaches with easy to slide, lightweight sliding doors and fibre-reinforced polymer interior panels. Also, CCTV surveillance system, LED lights, LED indication when a chain is pulled and a GPS based passenger information system are provided in all the coaches.
Among the features of this MEMU that are likely to appeal to passengers are ergonomically designed seats, air bellows for secondary suspension for comfort riding, an increase in carrying capacity of 2402 passengers (seating 614 + standing 1788) and bio-toilets. Moreover, the cabins of motormen and guard are air-conditioned to provide them with a comfortable working atmosphere.
Advantages of 3 phase MEMU over conventional MEMU
1. IGBT based converter–inverter and maintenance-free high power squirrel cage Induction Motors are provided.
2. Microprocessor-based control system with built-in fault diagnosis for smoother control, facilitating troubleshooting and easy maintenance.
3. Regenerative Braking is provided. During braking, the Traction Motors are working as generators and the Kinetic Energy on the wheels are converted into Electrical Energy and fed back to OHE thereby saving 35% of total energy.
4. Online monitoring and downloading of TCMS data through ERMS (EMU Remote Monitoring System).
5. 10.4” Touch Screen DDU (Driver Display Unit) is provided in each cab to provide information about TCMS to support Motorman in operating the rake during normal operation as well as in case of malfunction of any system.
6. Air spring is provided in secondary stage suspension. In case of failure, DDU will indicate the status and the speed of the train will be restricted to 55 kmph.
7. PIS, Intercom and PA system are provided.
8. Parking Brakes and Holding Brakes are provided.
9. CCTV cameras are provided in all the coaches.
· Passenger Information System has been provided in all the coaches.
· CCTV cameras have been installed in all the coaches.
· Bio-toilets have been provided in all the trailer coaches.
· Air bellows have been provided for secondary suspension for comfortable riding.
· Water bottle holders have been provided for every seat.
· The height of the backrest of the seat has been increased for comfortable seating of passengers.
· Wider windows, entrance doors and vestibules have been provided.
· Aesthetic interiors by providing FRP panelling.
· LED lights provided in compartments aid in power saving and reliable lighting.
Kerala Biz News